As the best hospice pharmacy in Pomona, Select Pharmacy creates personalized comfort kits designed to support terminally-ill patients in hospice.
What is a Hospice Comfort Kit?
Also referred to as a hospice kit, emergency kit, or e-kit, a hospice comfort kit typically includes a prescribed set of medications kept in a patient’s home for use in case of a medical emergency. Keeping a hospice kit in the home will help the hospice team treat any unexpected or severe symptoms that may arise while the patient is at home.
What’s Included in a Select Pharmacy Hospice Comfort Kit?
Select Pharmacy hospice comfort kits may include medications to treat pain, anxiety, nausea, insomnia, and breathing problems. A comfort kit may include the following medications:
- Ativan (Lorazepam) – to treat anxiety, nausea, or insomnia
- Morphine liquid – to treat pain and shortness of breath
- Levsin – to treat death rattle, or wet respirations
- Atropine drops – to treat wet respirations
- Haldol (Haloperidol) – to treat agitation and terminal restlessness
- Phenergan (Promethazine) – to treat nausea and vomiting
- Compazine (Prochlorperazine) – to treat nausea and vomiting
- Dulcolax suppositories (Bisacodyl) – to treat constipation
- Senna – to treat constipation
- Fleet enema – to treat constipation if other treatments are ineffective
Some patients may need additional medication if, for example, they are at risk for seizures. In these cases, patients may have valium suppositories included in their comfort kit.
How Does a Patient Obtain a Hospice Comfort Kit?
The hospice pharmacy will collaborate with a hospice provider in creating a personalized comfort kit that includes the right medications and supplies. Select Pharmacy’s team of pharmacists will review each patient’s medication records and offer insights on optimizing therapy, screen for drug-to-drug interactions, and suggest ways to prevent potential contraindications.
Once the medications have been properly designed and formulated, the hospice pharmacy will deliver the comfort kit to the patient’s home.
At the patient’s home, a hospice nurse will explain the purpose of each medication and demonstrate how to administer them. The hospice nurse will regularly count and monitor medications during visits to ensure the patient has adequate supply at home.
What Delivery Options Are Available?
Terminally-ill hospice patients need round-the-clock care and access to the right medication no matter how complex their medication needs may be. This is why it’s important for hospice providers to choose a hospice pharmacy in Pomona that offers convenient delivery options.
Select Pharmacy is proud to accommodate hospice providers’ delivery needs to help them serve their patients at a moment’s notice. Select Pharmacy clients can choose from the following delivery options:
- Rapid delivery. 2.5 hour delivery window, within the delivery radius
- Stat. 2-4 hour delivery window, within the delivery radius
- Same day delivery. Receive medication/supplies by the end of the day
- Next day delivery. Receive medication/supplies within one day of placing an order
Tips for Using a Comfort Kit
The hospice comfort kit should be stored in an easy-to-remember place, such as in cabinets above the refrigerator. This way, during an emergency, hospice staff and family members know exactly where the kit is located and don’t need to waste precious time searching for it. As a trusted hospice pharmacy in Pomona, we recommend storing the hospice comfort kit in a locked box, out of reach of children and pets.